Well, if we all hoped that March would go out like a lamb it had a grand April’s Fool joke ready for us. Oh well, it’s still pretty chilly but that darn snow is starting to disappear, hopefully not to be seen again for many months ahead. Come on Spring!
We have plenty of things to look forward to this Spring at the Centre. Top of the list is the upcoming elections. There are three, three-year terms available with five of our members putting their names forward.
They are Glen Sharpe, Robert Gaby, Vern Cunningham, Joyce Latimer and Kevin Griffiths. Their pictures and bios are posted in the lobby of the Seniors Centre and are available on our ASA website. There is a lot of information regarding the election on the website. I highly recommend you take a look there.
There will be an All Candidates meeting on April 12th at 11:30 in the lounge. This is a perfect opportunity for you to come out and meet all the candidates and hear what they have to say. They will give a brief talk and then there will be a Q&A session. This is an important election as we have not had an election in several years due to Covid and there are important positions to be filled. Please do your homework on these candidates then cast your ballot. There will be an in-person Advanced Poll on April 25th from 9:30 am – 3:30 pm and from 5:00 – 6:30 pm.
Regular voting days are Friday, May 5th and Monday, May 8th – Thursday, May 11th. See the website for exact times on each day. Voting will take place in the lounge at the Aurora Seniors Centre.
April is Volunteer Month. From April 17th to the 21st there will be free coffee and tea in honour of our volunteers. Don’t forget to take the time to thank them for all they do to keep our Centre running smoothly!
As I mentioned there are lots of events coming up. Here a just a few;
- Heart to Home will present a sample lunch on Wednesday, April 26 from 11:45 am – 1:00 pm.
- On April 14th at 7:00 pm, the James Brown Trio will present a free concert of Jazz Appreciation.
- On June 21st. At 2:00 pm a Four String Uke Band will give a free concert at the Centre.
- The much-anticipated return of the Silver Stars’ “Cabaret of Comedy “ will be returning on May 6th and 7th. Tickets are available at Reception.
- A 3 part accident awareness program “You and the road” will be presented on three consecutive Wednesdays, the 12th, 19th, and 26th from 9:00 – 10:30 am. Presented by retired police officers.
Have you noticed the beautiful new plaque gracing the wall of the Centre by the entrance? This plaque is to honour and give thanks to the Anishinabek First Nations on whose land our Centre is located. It’s quite beautiful and worth the time to read the inscription.
Don’t forget to keep your eye on the Newsletter and on our updated website for all the latest news about what’s happening this April at the Centre.
Hope to see you there… Dave LeGallais