The Aurora Seniors Computer Group is focused on helping members use their computers. We have regular meetings open to all members at 10:00 am each Tuesday where we present a program of computer instruction. We frequently invite outside presenters to address specific technical and equipment topics. We also hold a Tuesday afternoon drop-in to provide personalized help when required. Computers may be desktops, laptops or tablets (iPad or Android), Windows OS or Mac OS.
Unless a presentation, workshop or teaching session is scheduled in the Computer Room, the computers are available for individual use by ASA members during the hours when the Centre is open. In practice, we try to keep Friday available for personal use.
See our calendar for scheduled days and times.
Computer Group Executive
Bill Ault, Laureen Campbell, Susan Catania, Allan Church, Kris Gabriele, Elfriede Greupner, Jan Haarink, Ron Humenchuk, Don Keel, Herb Koller, June O’Donnell, Sandy DeRocchis, Tom Yates
Information and Activities for October 2018
Welcome to the fall session of the Computer Club. Everyone is welcome.
Computer Club meetings – Tuesdays 10:00 am to 11:00 am – We continue to try and cover topics of interest to our members but as always we need your help to know what is of interest to you. Let us know.
- Tuesday Oct. 2 – Q&A. Bob will present this session and talk about internet browser histories, how to do effective internet searches and the NOAA website.
- Tuesday Oct. 9 – the Cyber-Seniors website is a great new tool that is available to our members. Bob will show us what it can do and how to access it.
- Tuesday Oct. 16 – Apple Day with Herb and Susan.
- Tuesday Oct. 23 – what to do with that old but still working PC? Consider installing Linux, it can do just about anything any other PC can do but without the Windows operating system. Easy to install and it is free. Bob or Bill.
- Tuesday Oct. 30 – We all use our phones for taking pictures. In this session you will learn how to easily get them uploaded to Google Photos and from there edit them, organize them, share them and even create a photo book. And are you aware of the G-Lens feature available on Android phones and soon iPhones as well? Jan will tell us all about this and show you what is possible.
Technology education: We will be running our Windows PC classes in Sept. Sign-up in the red binder in the computer room.
Computer 1 classes: Thursdays Nov. 8, 15 and 22 at 1:30 pm-3:30 pm taught by Bob. Computer 1 classes cover working with & customizing Windows 10, internet & Email.
Computer 2 classes: Thursdays Nov. 8, 15 and 22 at 9:30 am- 11:30 am taught by Bob. Computer 2 classes cover more advanced functions such as working with photos, organizing your files & working with menus and toolbars.
Mac classes: Wednesdays Oct. 17 & 24 at 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm taught by Herb.
Tuesday drop-in sessions from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm
Every Tuesday, any member who is looking for any kind of technical help can come by and we will try our best to assist. All the help we provide is covered by your payment of the $1 daily activity fee. We provide one-on-one help in these sessions.
Your suggestions and comments about what you might like the computer club to do, courses we could teach or content for our Tuesday sessions is always welcome. Come talk with us or send your suggestions to Bill Ault at email@example.com, Bob Hedenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com.
Instruction Sessions require a minimum of 3 participants. Please register in advance of the selected course as space may be limited.
Registration and payment for Computer Instruction is done in the Computer Room on Tuesday afternoon from 1:30 to 3:30pm. You can also register at the close of the regular Computer Club Meeting on Tuesday morning. Course Instructors may also arrange registration in a course at the end of a class period. Registration cannot be done at the Reception Desk.
You are not registered in a course until your name has been recorded for that specific course and payment has been made. Staff at Reception may not know the enrolment status of a particular course.